Healthcare Service & Environmental Design for Dementia
Therapeutic Effect of Life Enhancing Environment
Recent studies had shown that built environment has a significant impact on the behavior of people with Dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease. While undesirable environment may be unsafe and amplify the symptoms, a well designed
living environment contribute positively to the well being of people with Dementia, typically by reducing the stress on their cognitive and emotional deficits. As a result, their coping ability improves and progression of the disease is reduced.
Environmental variables such as illumination, noise, colour, furnishings, spatial arrangement, pattern and texture etc. can be therapeutic to people suffering from Dementia. A good environmental design can maximize people's function and increase their satisfaction in life. Environmental design and modification should take the following considerations:
- ensure safety and security
- support functional ability through meaningful activity
- provide heightened awareness and orientation
- provide appropriate environmental stimulation and challenge
- maximize autonomy and control
- adapt to changing needs
- establish links to health and familiarity
Expertise & Services
RehabAid Society is uniquely set up with a multi-disciplinary team comprising of:
Healthcare Professionals – Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Health Management Specialists.
Environmental Design Specialists – Architect, Space Planner, Access Consultant, Interior Designer.
Other professional team is experienced in creating "life-enhancing" environment which improves the individual’s ability to function as well as their living quality, particularly for those with Dementia.
Scope of Service
We provide design consultancy service to individual's flat, health & rehabilitation facilities, homes and hostels. Scope of service includes:
- Facilities Assessment & Appraisal by Therapists and Architects
- Access Audit on barrier free provisions for elderly and disabled residents
- Space Planning, including indoor and outdoor facilities
- Architectural Design, Interior Design of new or renovation & retrofitting of premises for people with Dementia
- Documentation for tender & construction of building works
- Selection of finishes, furniture & fittings
- Post-Occupancy Evaluation
- Other customized services
Whether you are planning a small kitchen or bathroom renovation, or an entire dedicated health facility, our team will be happy to assist.
Smartips on Home Adaptation
- add clear graphic label / sign for easy recognition of living place
- use solid colour fields, simple or common patterns, be identifiable and realistic
- emphasize the features of place to help finding and recognition
- remove potential dangers such as small loose furniture, plant with spikes, sharp edges
- keep clear of hallways / corridors to avoid tripping over
- securely install grab rail / handrail along long walkways and stair
- ensure highly visible, difference in risers' and treads' colours, slip-resistant strips with contrast colour on stairs and step
- add window retainer to limit the opening angle and amplitude
- create safe and well-planned looped or circular wandering paths to provide a healthy source of exercise and stimulation
- no sudden change of flooring colours from light to dark, to avoid creating misinterpretation of hole or level change, and result in easily falls